Who Collects the Award for Damages at the Close of a Wrongful Death Suit?

The laws surrounding who can collect in a wrongful death suit vary state by state. Most states allow children and spouses of the deceased to collect while others allow parents of the deceased to collect. Additionally, a personal representative of the estate may file a wrongful death suit to recover medical and funeral expenses, which would be paid out of the estate.




Wrongful death occurs when an individual is fatally injured due to misconduct or through the negligence of another person, company, or entity. In such cases, immediate family members, including parents, spouses, and children, are almost always eligible to file the claim. Minors who are filing a claim may need an adult guardian to take the wrongful death lawsuit to court. Some states also permit additional family members, such as stepparents, grandparents, and dependents, to file suit.



In addition to the emotional trauma associated with sudden death, dependents also face other challenges. In cases where injustice has occurred, grief may be prolonged. Additionally, issues such as anticipated earnings until the expected time of retirement, medical bills, and other expenses must be addressed.


Losing a loved one due to someone else’s carelessness is a life-altering and devastating event. While no amount of money can truly compensate you and your family for the loss of a family member, it can help cover expenses such as medical bills and funeral costs and provide necessary financial support during a difficult time and help you to get back on your feet. Call the Selinger Law Group at 1-800-928-9445 or fill out the online form here.


Confidential Case Evaluation

For a confidential no-obligations case evaluation, please fill out the form to the right or call 1(800)-387-4262.

Contact Us Today For A


    Selinger Law Group is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, and we'll only use your personal information to administer your account and to provide the products and services you requested from us. From time to time, we would like to contact you about our products and services, as well as other content that may be of interest to you. If you consent to us contacting you for this purpose, please tick below to say how you would like us to contact you:

    You can unsubscribe from these communications at anytime

    One of our attorneys will review your case and respond to you within 24 hours.
    The information provided will not be shared with a third party.